Vocational training funds – Starfsmenntasjóður verslunar- og skrifstofufólks (SVS) og Starfsmenntasjóður verslunarinnar (SV)
A fund member, with a salary equal to or higher than the initial salary of a salesperson, has a right to a 130.000 ISK grant each calendar year. In order to apply for a grant from the fund, membership fees need to have been paid for at least 3 months of the last 12 months, thereof 1 month of the last 6 months. All rights are forfeited if dues have not been paid for the last 6 months.
Vocational training fund - rights
A grant, maximum amount of 130.000 ISK each calendar year.
- 90% grant for vocational studies, seminars or conference fee– max 130.000 ISK.
- 50% grant for travel expenses, max 40.000 ISK subtracted from the maximum grant.
- 50% grant for leisure courses, max 30.000 ISK subtracted from the maximum grant.
If you have not applied to the fund in the last three years but have been a member for 30 of the last 36 months, you can apply for 90% of the study fee, max 390.000 ISK for one continuous study.
Condition for all grants is that the fund member himself pays the fees.
You can apply for a grant from the Vocational training fund for:
„Vocational training grant“ (Starfsmenntastyrkur) is for vocational courses/studies, academic studies, language courses, seminars or conferences. Both in Iceland and abroad a vocational course has to be job related, proof is required. You can also apply for courses in building self-confidence and job related executive coaching, max 12 hour each calendar year.
What documents do I need to include with my grant application to the Vocational training fund on „Mínar síður“ (My pages)?
- An invoice made out to the applicant.
- Confirmation of payment by the the applicant. It is enough to send us a screenshot from your online bank (heimabanki) or a confirmation of payment by the applicant.
- Information about the conference/course (when it starts and ends).
- When applying for a grant for a conference/seminar – A confirmation that accommodation and food during the event (coffee and light meal is ok) are not part of the conference/seminar charges.
„Hobby grant“ (Tómstundastyrkur) is for Icelandic personal interest course. Conditions for hobby grant are that the course is open for everyone, has a clear start and an end date and an instructor.
„Travel grant“ (Ferðastyrkur) is for travel expenses. You can apply for the grant when travelling between your place of domicile and the place of the course, seminar or conference, if the distance is a minimum of 50 km. The Travel grant is an independent application. If you are going to apply for „the travel grant“ an application for „Vocational training grant“ has to be submitted first. If the course, seminar or conference is free of charge, a confirmation of registration has to be included in the travel grant application. In that case, an application for „Vocational training grant“ is not needed.
Documents needed for the travel grant on „Mínar síður“ (My pages)
- A confirmation of payment by the applicant. It is enough to send us a screenshot form your online bank (heimabanki) or a confirmation of payment by the applicant.
- Copy of the E-ticket, with the reservation confirmation (Flight ticket).
- An application for a vocational training grant (if there are no charges, a confirmation of registration from the course, seminar or conference suffices).
- You can apply for a grant if the bill is issued under 12 months from the date of the application.
- You can only use the same invoice once when applying for a grant.
- If you are a new member, a grant is not paid for invoices issued before you applied for membership.
You can apply for a grant on Mínar síður (My pages, members‘ personal pages on the VR website.)