Accrued rights

Employees’ accrued rights shall remain valid if they are re-engaged within one year.
In the same way, accrued rights shall become valid again after one month’s work if the employee is re-engaged after more than one year but within three years.

An employee who has worked for one continuous year or more for the same employer shall enjoy his accrued rights again after three months’ work if he is re-engaged after a break in employment lasting longer than three years but less than five years.
Employees who enjoy more advantageous terms than those laid down in this Agreement shall retain them in full while they continue to work at the same job.

Accrued rights due to work abroad

Foreign employees in Iceland, as well as Icelanders who have worked abroad, bring with them their accrued period of employment with respect to the rights in the collective agreements that relate to the employment period in the relevant field of work, provided the work abroad is considered comparable.

Employees must, when recruited, provide evidence for their period of employment with a certificate from their former employer or by equally verifiable means. If an employee is not able to submit a certificate that meets the requirements according to paragraphs 3 and 4, he may submit a new certificate within three months from the engagement. In that event, the accrued rights will become effective from the end of the current month. The employer shall confirm the reception of the certificate.

The certificate from the former employer shall i.a. indicate the following:

  • Name and ID No. of the employee involved.
  • The name and identity of the company issuing the confirmation, including telephone number and name of the party responsible for its issuance.
  • A description of the work of the person involved.
  • When the person involved began working for the company in question, when he quit working and whether there was any break, and if so, when the break occurred in the employment of the person involved.
  • The certificate shall be in English or translated into Icelandic by a certified translator.