VR pays death benefits upon the death of a member in good standing. Benefit amounts are subject to family size and whether the person was still in the labour market.
Beneficiaries of death benefits
- Surviving spouse.
- Children of the deceased (custodians of children under the age of 18 years) or the one who fully supports the children.
- Other legal heirs if they carry the funeral costs.
VR pays death benefits upon the death of a member in good standing. Benefit amounts depend on family size and whether the respective individual was still in the labour market.
- Upon the death of a member in good standing, the amount of 500.000 kr. is paid to the spouse if he/she was married or to the individual who is confirmed as the one who pays for the funeral if he/she was not married.
- If the deceased leaves a child (adopted or foster child) younger than 18 years of age, the amount of 800.000 kr. is paid for each child, to each child or according to the executive committee’s decision each time to the one who supports a child.
- In addition, the equivalent amount of the respective individual’s credit balance in the VR Contingency fund is paid.
It is permissible to pay death benefits due to those who have retired from work at the age of 67 years or later, if they have been a member in good standing for 5 consecutive years prior to retiring:
1. If the deceased was unmarried, 210.000 kr.
2. If the deceased was married, 350.000 kr.
Benefits are only paid in accordance with one of the clauses no. 1 or 2.
Example of death benefits
|Member, married or unmarried||500.000 kr.|
|Member with one child||1.300.000 kr.|
|Member with three children||2.900.000 kr.|
|Member with five children||4.500.000 kr.|
Modified regulations with regards to death benefits became effective on July 1st, 2015.
Death benefits due to death of members’ children
The Sick Pay fund also pays benefits due to the death and accidents of members’ children under the age of 18 years.
Note that benefits are not paid if benefits are received from elsewhere due to statutory reliability insurance.
|Amount of accident benefits|
|Disability benefits due to an accident, 100% disability||3.693.321 kr.|